DATE: April 28, 2016
JOB TITLE: Receptionist
TIME COMMITMENT: 20 hours per week. Half day Thursday – Monday. May occasionally include evenings.
Morning shift is 10:30 am – 2:30 pm
Afternoon shift is 2:30 pm – 6:30 pm.
SJIMA is looking to fill two part time positions
Preferred start date: May 12, 2016
LOCATION: Friday Harbor, WA
The San Juan Islands are a destination for many, drawn by the beauty and identity of a place that can be found nowhere else. Such uniqueness is a form of expression: expression of a community whose heart is informed by place and the connections within it. No wonder our islands have more working artists than anywhere else in Washington State. Authenticity of expression is at the heart of a strong arts community. And strong arts programming, education, and opportunities are at the heart of creating and protecting connected, authentic selves and communities.
SJIMA (www.sjima.org) champions artists, the arts, and arts programming because we champion authenticity of expression, place, and connections. Through its exhibitions, education, programs, and events, SJIMA establishes our island region as a place of enduring discovery. We want all who come into contact with SJIMA to become more fluent in the languages of curiosity and connection.
SJIMA is an equal opportunity employer.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Receptionist welcomes our visitors, takes admission fees, encourages those interested to sign up for membership, and helps with the sale of exhibition related merchandise. As a non-profit we work with volunteers, some of who will sign up for front desk/receptionist duty. During downtimes in visitors and/or when volunteers are working the front desk, the receptionist’s secondary responsibilities are entering data in databases, processing of membership applications and other administrative tasks as directed by the General Manager.
- DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Open (10:30 am – 2:30 pm shift) or close (2:30 pm – 6:30 pm shift) the museum and galleries
- Welcome visitors, process admission fees
- Help visitors to sign up for membership
- Direct visitors to galleries/exhibitions
- Sale of exhibition related merchandise in the entrance area
- Keep daily log of visitors (currently an Excel log) and provide reports as requested
- Count and log donations
- Ensure the front desk is attended at all times
- Keep inventory and advise General Manger of need to re-order merchandise in timely manner
- Enter membership data in membership database (Little Green Light)
- Work in team with volunteers and docents
- Answer phone and direct calls
- Update local event listings with events organized by SJIMA
- Help with special events
QUALIFICATIONS (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Exceptional ability to manage multiple tasks; self-starting and pro-active; flexible and willing to take on a variety of tasks
- Welcoming, professional and personable.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Skills in sales
- Very good computer skills, specifically MS Office.
- Ability and willingness to learn membership database and other new computer software.
- Ability to build relationships with staff, donors, and volunteers.
- Ability to work on occasional evenings.
- Skills desired in Social Media
Additional Qualifications: Candidates must be able to thrive within a small non-profit environment and enjoy visual arts.
Application Instructions: Please submit resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org (please include “Receptionist” in the subject line), or by regular mail to:
Hella Cascorbi, General Manager
San Juan Islands Museum of Art
PO Box 339
Friday Harbor, WA 98250